Drupal is a very powerful solution for building e-commerce stores.
Through contributed modules, powerful distributions or customized development, Drupal provides a full range of rich e-commerce capabilities. These capabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Product Creation System
• Configurable Product Catalog
• Attributes System for Products
• Shopping Cart Block
• Taxes and Discount Calculation
• Product Stock Tracking with Notifications
• Single Page Checkout
• Simple & Automated Order Processing
• Comprehensive Inventory Management
• Customer Invoice Generation
• Analytics Reports on Sales, Inventory & Customers
• Integrated Payment System with Payment Gateway
Many more features are available depending on a client’s business requirements.
Our Drupal e-commerce websites are fully customized and configured to meet our client’s needs. engagements begin with a detailed assessment of how a client’s business operates. We then map out the desired workflow for users through mocking up key landing pages of the website. In terms of the back-end, we create a comprehensive report of the functional requirements for administrators; whether it be product creation, catalogs, inventory management, payment solutions, analytics reports or a host of other administrator needs.
Drupal E-Commerce development should follow some important best practices:
• Optimize User Interface and Checkout Process: The user interface around purchasing products and checking out should be intuitive and easy. A simple process will help to maximize conversions around purchasing products. On key checkout pages, it’s recommended to strip out the navigation and other distracting links to focus the user on completing the task at hand. Drupal’s built-in tools help to achieve this effect. Blocks can be easily disabled on any page to achieve the desired look; form-editing fields can be styled to improve the user experience; and more broadly, any design effect can be achieved through applying CSS to specific elements on the page.
• Provide Engaging Upsell & Cross-sell Opportunities: It’s recommended to show users engaging products at key points in the checkout process. On products pages, the user should see related products. While checking out, the user should see products bought by similar customers. The views module can be used to create engaging filtered lists targeted to specific pages.
• Include Clear Actions on Checkout Pages: The styling of the “Checkout” buttons should be prominent and easy-to-see. A high click-through-rate from product pages to checkout pages will help to drive new sales.
• Offer a Variety of Payment Providers: Including a diverse array of payment providers’ increases consumer choice and makes it more likely the user will follow through with a purchase. We recommend PayPal, Google Checkout and Authorize.net as commonly used payment methods. All of these options are available with Ubercart.
• Enable Product Reviews & Ratings: Visitors enjoying reading product reviews as they make their purchase decision. Reading reviews builds legitimacy through offering trusted third-party peer opinions. Drupal includes the ability for commenting on all major content types. This commenting ability can easily be enabled for product pages. These comments may then be branded as product reviews in the theme layer. Another nice option is product ratings. Enabling users to provide a one-to-five-star is a popular choice. A number of star-related modules exist for Drupal. Two options are the Star Rating module or the Fivestar module.
• Engage Visitors with Social Media: Provide visitors with the ability to share products on Facebook and Twitter. Drupal has a host of modules to integrate tightly with Facebook and Twitter. Include the ability to “Like” each product on Facebook so that products can spread virally through visitor’s Facebook News Feed.
• Work with a Distribution: Many powerful Drupal distributions are customized specifically for e-commerce. These distributions bring your site up and running with comprehensive features in a fraction of the time required to develop the site from scratch. Two of the more popular e-commerce systems for Drupal are Ubercart and Drupal Commerce. Both are strong platforms with robust capabilities. Ubercart is a comprehensive e-commerce system that is designed to work out of the box. Drupal Commerce is tightly integrated with Drupal 7, the latest version of Drupal core.
• Avoid Hacking Modules: Once a module is hacked, a proprietary content-management-system is created. This result creates a big downside in that the site cannot benefit from security and performance updates to Drupal. As a result, hacking external modules is highly discouraged. Functionality must be built through other means like creating a new module from scratch or adjusting Drupal’s configuration settings.
• Install SSL Certificate: Installing an SSL certificate provides customers with the peace of mind that your pages are secured. Secure Pages is a simple module that provides administrators with the ability to choose which URLs to protect with https.